In love ... with a squirrel!

Yesterday and today have been really tough emotionally but I am here in Cape Town at someone else's expense and the show must go on. Yesterday we worked through all the FINSS modules to get a feel for how they work and whether we would be able to cope with the program on our own. The front end has really been set up as simply as possible so data capture of all the facets of fisheries is straight forward. The trick comes in when you want to get the data out. The programmer, Marco Garcia (who was in attendance) reckons that anyone can figure out SQL so most queries need to be written from scratch. At least these queries can be setup at installation though and never thought about again, unless of course you want something else out. The photo is of Shaheen Moolla explaining the finer details of the database.

Today we were given presentations by the participants from Mozambique and Seychelles where the software has already been installed and is in use. They seem quite happy with it. It is fairly easily customisable so can be made to suit each country's needs while the core of the data remains compatible with all other users.

We finished early today so I decided that I needed to get out and walk a bit. I started off with going to The Company Gardens to see the squirrels. At first the only thing I saw was drug addicts harassing the passersby - not the best welcome to the city - but eventually I found a bench in a quiet part of the gardens and, soon enough, two squirrels arrived. They really are cute and I would have loved to have put one on my pocket! My earliest childhood memory is feeding the squirrels in these gardens but I actually think it is a false memory that came into existence from everyone telling me about my feeding the squirrels as a small child. I didn't feed the squirrels today, just admired them!
From there I went to St George's Mall and just window-shopped a bit and looked at the souvenirs on sale. I could not make up my mind whether or not to walk to the Waterfront but eventually just sort of wandered over there.

At the Clock Tower area I had a look at the seals on their little floating dock but the smell was so very bad that I took a couple of very quick photos and moved on. There was one really huge seal (the one in the top left of the photo) that had some sort of rope around its neck - I wonder why no one has done anything about this? As I said though, they smelt REALLY bad and I moved on.


It was good just to walk around and watch all the holiday-makers getting excited about the various scenes that they could take photos of. At one place there were a whole lot of people taking photos of their travel companions with Table Mountain in the background. I didn't want to be out done so here is my tourist photo. Hope the gull had a good time!

Tomorrow I am off to Somerset West. It will be good to not be in a hotel and to be in the company of friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo