Back on the Nansen

Last year when the hake survey came to an end I vowed that somehow I would get back on the Dr Fridtjof Nansen. I had had such a good time onboard. The work was hard but fulfilling and we just had such a good time in between all the work. As 2010 progressed though there seemed little hope of getting back on the ship because of where it was operating and various other factors at work. Then just before Christmas I got a call asking me if I was willing to partake in the hake survey again. Initially I said no but really wanted to do it. I checked on how long the individual legs were and how much leave I had available and emailed the organiser back saying I could do the first leg only and he was happy with that.

The view from our berth on the East Pier in the harbour at the Waterfront.

I organised the flight down to Cape Town and here I am, back on the Nansen. It was really wonderful getting back on the ship and this time far more relaxing - I know most of the people and also what the work will involve. The ship was due to sail yesterday at 6pm but I arrived on Sunday, got myself organised in my cabin (the same one as last year) and then went to get reacquainted with the Waterfront. I had the pleasure of meeting up with a really good friend, who I had not seen for a very long time, for a late lunch. Elzabe it was so amazing to see you again!

Sunday evening I had dinner with Charles and afterwards we went on the huge ferris wheel that is currently at the Waterfront. Seeing the lights of Cape Town from so high up was amazing but I do have to admit to being a little bit nervous on the first rotation. It was strange because I really didn't think it was so high until we were right at the top and the ferris wheel stopped. Our little cabin was swaying back and forth and it didn't feel right  but once the wheel started turning again everything was okay.

Monday morning, Jess and I went to do some last minute shopping and had coffee before returning to the ship. In the afternoon Charles, Odd and I had a drink at Quay 4 then went back to the ship to await the arrival of the rest of the scientific crew. Everyone was onboard by 3pm and we did the necessary safety tour around the ship and settled down to wait for our 6pm departure. 

At 6pm we left the Waterfront harbour and moved across to the commercial harbour to pick up some fuel. Once the ship was in the new berth the scientific crew met down in the entertainment area for the cruise briefing. The previous two briefings I had attended were held when we were steaming to the first trawl site and it was up in the Acoustic lab near the top of the ship which moves a lot making some people feel a bit sea sick. But this time it was different, we were in the bowels of the ship and in the harbour so there were no green faces. After the briefing we went up to the lab area were we will be working and sorted it out a bit as it was left in a bit of a state by the last survey team. Jess and I went back to her cabin and we sat chatting until I was really struggling to keep my eyes open.

I went onto the trawl deck to see how the refuelling was going and found we only had got two thirds of the total amount in the tank (and it was already 10pm). I joked with the crew saying it looked like we would be spending the night in the harbour but they thought it would only be another hour and a half and then we would sail. I hurriedly took myself off to bed thinking that it would be a good idea to be asleep by the time we got under way. By then the wind has really starting to pump and I figured it wouldn't be pleasant out of the harbour. I went to sleep quickly but kept on waking up wondering why the ship was so still.

It turned out that the fish storage freezer stopped working in the middle of the night and there is no way we can go without it. Also there was a terrible gale blowing and the harbour was closed to all shipping traffic. I am quite glad that we did take so long on the bunkering and that the freezer packed up last night because I think it would have been hell out on the ocean.

We are hoping to get away before lunch today. The freezer is being repaired at the moment and the wind has dropped a little so it does look promising. I really hope the wind drops a lot before we go. It will not be good doing the first trawls in these conditions but we will have to just take what we get.

Our view today from the commercial harbour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo