A Damp Zanzibar

It is the rainy season in Tanzania now and over the last few days Zanzibar has had its fair share. The roads have been completely flooded. The owner of the Abuso Inn, where I am staying, told me that the problem is that everyone throws their rubbish into the drainage system so the moment it rains everything backs up and the water can’t go anywhere. From my point of view the rain is both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing because it is not so hot but a curse because I don’t have any rain clothes so the possibility of arriving at working looking like a drowned rat is very real. Furthermore, the rain has meant an increase in mosquitoes.

Cloudy, rainy days but still a pretty view

These little pests are so clever! I have no idea how they do it but despite mosquito mesh on the windows and a net around the bed; I have woken up every morning with at least three little guests in my sleeping area. Thank goodness I decided to take malaria prophylactics on this trip because otherwise I would be feeling quite panicky at this stage.

You would think there is enough mosquito netting to keep the little pests out!

The last time I stayed at the Abuso Inn, construction had started just in front on the Hyatt Park Hotel. The foot print looked huge but it really didn't prepare me for the completed monster of a building I saw when I arrived. Fortunately the local people managed to get a small open space developed between the Hyatt Park Hotel and the Tembo House Hotel so at least the view isn’t blocked completely. One of the most pleasant experiences at Abuso Inn is having breakfast on the rooftop terrace and gazing out at the ocean and the boats. It would have very disappointing if it had been lost completely.

The Hyatt Park Hotel that blocks a large section of the beach

The lovely view that remains looking over the closed park of the Hyatt Park Hotel

Besides this new hotel, Stonetown has changed in other ways too. There used to be a lot of small shops selling a variety of things from bakeries to curios to foreign exchange but these have been replaced by a multitude of jewellery stores all advertising tanzanite and other gems. I guess there is a market for this but it seems a bit sad to me that the diversity of the shops has been lost. I’m also not really sure how ten plus jewellers survive together in a block less than 200m long but the market drives these things so it must work.

I have diversified my foraging excursions this time and tried out a few places have not frequented before. Make no mistake I have still been to my favourites (Livingstone’s Bar and Africa House Sunset Bar) but I went to the Book Café which is new and the Buni Café which has always been then but one I have always just walked past. I went to the Book Café because the rain was drumming down and I felt like having a chai latte and indulging in a piece of cake. I was disappointed on both counts. The cake, white forest, was really dry and a bit tasteless and the chai latte was watery. I did go back (always try a place twice) and had hot chocolate that was superb. Buni Café was average. While the food was less expensive than Livingstone’s and Africa House, it was a step down in quality. Not bad but just a little more plain. The fresh mango juice was, however, delicious! The main draw cards of my two favourites are their respective locations. Livingstone’s is on the beach under a huge tree while Africa House has the most amazing late afternoon to evening views. Sometimes it really is worth paying a little extra.

The Book Café

The view from my table at Livingstone's Bar

Africa House Hotel - one of my favourite spots

A well deserved sun-downer at the Africa House Sunset Bar

The view makes the higher cost of the food at Africa House so worthwhile

My time in Zanzibar has been good. I am feeling relaxed and getting into the swing of being on the road again. The Comoros is always a bit stressful having to rely on my really poor French and having to eat all the starchy food with very little variety. So it was a relief to arrive in Zanzibar, a place I am very familiar with, where everyone speaks English and where it is so easy to move around. I was so ridiculously thrilled on the first morning in Zanzibar to be presented with a plate of fruit for breakfast and to be able to sit and enjoy the wonderful view while sipping on a cup of coffee. The group I was working with were all mostly old hands (some with ten years of experience!) at using the database which also made things just a little bit easier for me.

My healthy fruit breakfast

The Tanzanian group and me :)

The view from my hotel room


Next stop Mombasa!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo