Keeping Time

Today's session was due to start at 9am but eventually got underway at 10am. Every time the session broke and was told to come back at a specific time, everyone kind of just meandered back when they felt like coming back. This just makes the day go on and on and on .....



Besides the frustration of waiting around for almost as much time as actually being busy in the meeting, it was an exceptionally interesting day. The subject matter was basically about resources in the western Indian Ocean, the management of these resources and the status of them.



At one stage there was a fairly lively discussion regarding setting up agreements between regional organisations that got a few participants hot under the collar but it turned out (after half an hour's debate) that some terminology had been mis-interpreted by the translators from French to English. Not that it was their fault entirely, they did a direct word translation but the English word has different connotations to the English word. Once this confusion was sorted out, everyone was happy and the programme continued but it was fun watching.



The tea and lunch breaks have been particularly torturous today because it has been a really beautiful day here and all I want to do is escape for a swim in the ocean. There isn't a cloud in the sky, the wind is still and the tide is out - perfect conditions for wallowing around in the shallow water lagoon created by the fringing reef.



One thing I must say is that this is the nicest hotel that I have stayed at in Mombasa (Sai Rock Hotel). Some of my colleagues don't agree but I think that is only because this hotel is off the tourist radar so there are no half-naked chicks lying around. Personally I'm not into the half-naked chicks and there have never been any fab guys at the other hotels so my assessment is purely on the cleanliness and service quality at the hotel. Below is a photo of my room which is really spacious ... and did I mention it has a balcony :-)


Tonight all the participants have been invited to a cocktail party at the bar just below my balcony. I have been checking out the bar fridge as I have been typing the blog and it is looking promising. I can't over do it though as I have to be in fighting form for an early morning boxing match over the referencing system we have been using for the fisheries project - it has got to change.

Best I go and brush my hair and put on some cocktailing clothes.

Cheers until tomorrow! XXX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo