Greetings from Maputo!

It is quite ironic that I find myself in Mozambique since this year's WIOFish workshop for Mozambique was actually held in Durban and I didn't expect to come here. Not that I mind though, I like Maputo. Sure it is a bit grubby and a bit dilapidated but it still feels like a vibrant place.

The journey here was uneventful and even on the pleasant side. I managed to get on a direct flight from Durban to Maputo so cut out about 4 hours travelling time by not going via Johannesburg. It also meant flying on a small plane with only 14 other passengers. These propeller driven planes are my favourite: take-offs and landings don't feel quite so hectic although the weather made for a bumpy descent into Maputo but it wasn't too bad.

It was raining when we arrived in Maputo and only 20 degrees. Pick-ups from the airport to the hotel had not been arranged but I just shared a taxi with two other meeting attendees so it didn't cost too much. On Friday last week I had checked with the meeting coordinator that a room had been booked for me at the hotel and got a firm reply saying that yes of course it had been done. Well I arrived at the hotel to be told there was no booking for me. They eventually found me a room but have charged me $201 per night instead of the $146 that was on the booking form! The receptionist told me that this was the discounted price for the meeting attendees. I will have to see what the meeting coordinator has to say about this because I would have found alternate accommodation if I had known that would be the price they were going to charge.
My hotel: the VIP Grand
The hotel is nice (not $201 nice though). The room is large and clean but it hadn't been made up when I got to it and I had to track down one of the cleaning staff to get it sorted out. It is fine now and I have made myself at home - just wish my little white cat was here :-) The Internet connection is okay but very slow. At least I don't have to sit in the passage! The WiFi works best at the window but I'm not completely comfortable balancing my laptop on the sill so I have opted to use the wired connection and can use the laptop at the desk - quite civilised for a change :-)
The view from my window
I stayed indoors for half the afternoon put off by the steady rain falling but eventually I couldn't take it any more and put on a jacket and went for a walk in the rain. It was really quite pleasant and I walked all along the waters edge. There weren't too many other pedestrians about but plenty of cars rushing by and I kept on thinking that sooner or later one would drive through a puddle and splash me from head to toe. Fortunately this didn't happen but I still returned to the hotel looking like a drowned rat. It was good to get out and get some fresh air though. I will have to get up early to get some exercise in for the next week as I see from the agenda that our days are due to end at 18:00 and then it will be too dark to be out and about.
Just something I saw when out walking - the ferry the goes from
Maputo to the other side of the bay
Tonight I must do a little preparation for tomorrow's meeting but then I think it will be time for a movie or two.

Take care and good night all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo