Patience is a Virtue

I was up before the crack of dawn this morning to pack my suitcase once again and head off. This time though it was to start the three day journey home. Yesterday Kamardine changed our meeting time three times from 06:00 to 06:30 to 06:45, with 06:45 being the last time selected. I went down to reception and checked out at about 06:40 and then proceeded to wait, and wait, and wait but there was no Kamardine. We had been told that we were to be at the airport at 07:00 to check in so I got really concerned as 07:00 arrived and disappeared with still no sign of him. At 07:15 I sent him a text message to see where he was and got no reply. I was about to go and ask the receptionist to call a taxi for me when Kamardine finally arrived. He said that he had struggled to find a taxi because all was still quiet in the village. Eventually we got going though and arrived at the airport just before 08:00.

Of course the only people there were those from our group! There were no airport staff around and no other passengers. Just after 08:00, everyone else started to arrive and it took forever to set up everything but finally at 09:00 we checked in for our flight that was supposedly at 09:00. I checked in for the flight, as did everyone else, without having to provide any identity document and in return was given a blank boarding pass. Once the check in procedure was complete we were told to go back and sit in the waiting area again as the security check was not ready for us.

While we were sitting there Oirdi came to say goodbye to us. As a parting gift he gave me a copy of his very own CD. I have heard Oirdi sing before. It was the first time we met when we were in Mauritius in November 2009 for training on the Nansis database and an introduction to fish stock assessments. Now there was a fun trip and I met some amazing people! Anyway I can’t wait to get home to listen to Oirdi’s CD. I feel very privileged to be given one as he only had 100 made. My laptop doesn’t have a DVD drive so I can’t listen to it now. Yet another thing to look forward to when I get home J.
Oirdi's CD

Gradually other passengers started to harass the security personnel to go through to the boarding gate and we were allowed to enter. At this stage my passport was required but I’m really not sure why since there was no indication on the boarding pass of who I was! The security check itself was also a laugh. My bag was unzipped, peered into without moving anything and zipped up again. Once through the security check we had to sit around and wait some more since or plane had not yet arrived. I asked one of the security guards when he thought our plane would arrive and he said sometime between 09:00 and 10:00. Sure enough it did! It arrived at five to ten. The passengers arriving from Moroni disembarked, our luggage was loaded and we were on our way by 10:15. Just an hour and fifteen minutes late.
Our plane finally arrives

I was thankful again of the bottle of water and chocolate biscuit we were given on the plane as this was the first liquid and food to pass my lips since yesterday. There were plenty of clouds about which made for an interesting 30 minutes of bouncing around. It got worse when we got to Moroni where the clouds were so dense that we did not even get a glimpse of the top of the volcano. We did get to see some of the smaller and older craters once we started to descend through the clouds to the airport on the western side of Grand Comoros.
 Turning at the end of the runway on Anjouan before takeoff
The coast of Grand Comoros - the black is old lava flows

One of the smaller old craters

By the time we got our luggage it was already 11:30 and the entire morning was gone. I could not wait to get to the hotel by that time because by then my stomach was really starting to complain about the lack of food. I checked into the hotel and quickly sorted out my things so that I could go for lunch.
My hotel: Jardin de la Paix

I have eaten mostly Comorian food all week so when I saw fillet mignon on the menu there was no other option! It was served with some wonderful vegetables and washed down with Three White Horses beer from Madagascar. During lunch I managed to multi-task and checked my email in the 30 minutes when there was electricity and an internet connection. Soon after lunch the rain started to pour down and the electricity went out. I’m not sure if the two incidents were related but they did seem to be. Since I have no rain gear with me and didn’t fancy walking around getting drenched and muddy, I spent a very relaxing afternoon reading a travel book by one of my favourite authors: Douglas Adams. He is better known for his science fiction comedy novels but this was an interesting change and just as amusing.

At around 17:30 the rain stopped and the setting sun came out so I decided to go for a little walk. It was nice to wonder around a bit. Moroni is an interesting town but it is very dirty. I think to the outside world the Comoros is most famous for their coelacanths. The town has tried to take advantage of this to some extent and there are statues and paintings of coelacanths everywhere. If they would just clean up the litter that lies everywhere though it would be a much more charming place.
 A coelacanth bench
Coelacanth statue
Fishermen hanging their nets out to dry
Grand Comoros sunset

Since this is my last night in the Comoros I have decided to spoil myself and go to the restaurant for dinner. I don’t usually eat dinner when I travel because I don’t think I get enough exercise to warrant two large meals in the day but I think that for surviving this long trip I deserve a treat ……… and maybe even a glass of wine J!

So that is it from me for about a week. I will be home until Sunday week when I kick off the next trip to Madagascar, Mauritius and the Seychelles. Until then take care!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo