Mombasa again

Why is it that when you have to run to get to a boarding gate before it closes that the boarding gate is located at the opposite end of the terminal to where you are? I made my way to the airport early enough yesterday to be in good time for my flight but when I checked my suitcase in I was told that my flight had been cancelled. This flight was the first of three connecting flights so it was important that I get a flight that would allow me to get onto the second flight. The only way for this to happen was for me to get onto the flight that was almost ready to leave. I was given my boarding pass and told to run! As I got to the gate, the ground staff commented that I was the last passenger. This has only happened to me once before on a flight from Sydney to Johannesburg where the delay was due to a Qantas strike action of the ground staff. Anyway there were two benefits to getting on this flight: 1. I was bumped up to business class for that flight and 2. My suitcase got a priority tag. This last fact helped once I got to Nairobi where I had to collect my suitcase before beetling across from the international to the domestic terminal with very little time to spend waiting for my suitcase. At the end of the day though everything went okay. It is rather maddening though that despite Mombasa being only about 5 hours away from Durban, it took me 14 hours to reach my destination!

I am staying at the Mombasa Beach Hotel. I stayed here three years but in my head I could not figure out which hotel it was - I have stayed at most of the hotels in this area of Nyali so now they all just blur together. When I saw the passageway to my room it all came flooding back. This is the hotel where I managed to lock myself out of my room at about six in the morning when I was going swimming. I ended up having to sheepishly make my way to the reception in my swimmers to get someone to open the room for me.

The hotel itself is not overly great! It is old and definitely in need of attention. Everything seems to be flaking and fading and the food is definitely not to my taste. The view from my room does go a long way to making me feel better about staying here.


The data working party (the reason for me being here) got underway today. I have known most of the participants for quite a long time so it has been great catching up with everyone. I had to give two presentations today - torture for someone who hates getting up to speak in front of people. Both the presentations went okay though and the questions that I had to field were not difficult. I am exhausted after it all so it is early to bed for me tonight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo