Cats, monkeys and camels

My time in Kenya is rapidly approaching an end for this trip. Tomorrow morning, before the crack of dawn, I will be on my way to the Comoros. Despite having 24 hours of not feeling very well in the week, I have enjoyed the stay here and it has been capped off with a very relaxing weekend.

Yesterday, after breakfast, I took a walk to the local shopping mall. It is about a 30 minute brisk walk from the hotel along a flat road. The walk was really good except for all the taxis stopping to see if I wanted a ride and some men sitting on the sides of the road trying to start up conversations with me. I spent some time wondering around the mall looking at all that is on offer and then purchased a few things to get through the weekend (mainly water). The walk back was a bit better because no taxis offered me any rides but one strange guy (not a taxi) did want me to get a lift with him. I just laughed and said no thanks and he zoomed off, music blaring, down the road.

I got back the hotel just before the wind started to howl and the rain came pouring down. The weather is quite changeable and after half an hour the squall had moved on. I decided that a swim was in order and chose the pool closest to the beach for my dip. It took me forever to get in the water  because it was not so warm. I had not been in long when the rain and wind returned and this time it set in so I returned to my room for coffee and a movie.

My pool of choice

 The weather moves in for the afternoon

Luckily I have no shortage of ways to entertain myself when I can't go outside and I spent a relaxing afternoon in my room. In the early evening the rain cleared and the wind stopped and it was really lovely.

This morning I treated myself to a cooked breakfast, not something I do often. The omelette and sausages were very good and I had some company in the form of one of the hotel cats. The cats are always around at meal times. They don't really make a nuisance of themselves because they just sit next to the tables quietly hoping they will get a tidbit or two  The hotel feeds them at their own "Cat Cafe" and guests are requested to "not encourage their already hearty appetites" by feeding them. I am sure that there are some guests who still feed them otherwise they would not be there. I am not one of those guests though - animals should not be fed at the table. So this cat keeping me company was there just for the pats she got occasionally. During breakfast the heavens opened and so I had to move to a table under shelter and little kitty came with me. She decided that it was a good idea to jump up on my lap. I thought she was after the food but she just curled up on my lap and purred away. I really enjoyed that as I have been missing my own cat.
My breakfast companion

The rain didn't last and the sun came out soon enough. I wondered through the gardens back to my room and came across the resident troop of monkeys. They were investigating everywhere to see if anyone had been silly enough to leave food lying around. I'm not a huge fan of monkeys but I hung about for a while watching their antics.



With the sun out I headed off to the beach. I found a lovely secluded spot that had hammocks so I made myself at home and settled down with my Kindle. It seems not too many people know about this spot and I was on my own for ages. The sun eventually became too much for me and I had to cool off. This time I chose the main pool.

The view from my hammock

 The main pool

I am ending this blog with some photos from the beach including some of the camels that are paraded up and down the beach to find willing riders. Having done three camel rides, I am not tempted at all.
 Touting for riders

 Hanging sarongs in the howling wind

The camels have had enough, especially the one on the right


The beach

Also the beach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo