Final day of STATBASE!

I started the morning off with a real blonde moment! Walked out the door to go to the pool and let the door swing closed behind me. Just one problem though ... I had left the room key inside and it is a Yale lock! So there I was in my swimming costume locked out of my room. Fortunately it was 6am and there were not too many people about in reception where I had to go to get some assistance. After about ten minutes the spare key was tracked down and they let me in to get my key and I could go swimming. I felt like a real idiot though.

Work today was a continuation of yesterday's uploading data files. The programmer spent his time last night sorting out the software so that we could access it again. It was a very frustrating exercise once again because the program is very fussy about all sorts of things but the main problem really is my own unfamiliarity with how it works. Once I had it figured out though it was very easy but getting to that point took forever and quite a lot of swearing under my breath. By the middle of this afternoon all my data was uploaded and I was very pleased with myself. We ended the work session with a general discussion of what everyone still needs to do and by when and then two of the facilitators left to catch their flight back to France. It was therefore an early end to the day and we left at 5pm.

So the STATBASE part of my trip is now officially over and from Monday it is a subject change to GeoNetwork. I have already seen GeoNetwork and I think it will be a breeze. It is all about capturing information that describes data using internationally recognised standards.

Anyway we all have the weekend off and, as some already know, I am off to Tsavo Game Reserve for the weekend. Despite having been to Kenya many times, this is the first Kenyan game park that I am visiting. The work trips do not normally have so much free time available so I am making the most of this weekend. Hopefully there will be lots to see and photograph!

Most likely there will be no blog tomorrow but will write again on Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo