Tusker and Goat

So like the complete nerd that I am I spent Tuesday night finishing off my catch tables instead of going for a drink in the hotel bar. It was time well spent though and yesterday morning I could just finish off the table structure and then concentrate on sorting out the species codes that we will be using.

The French contingent decided that they wanted to go to the old part of Mombasa after work to look around so our work day ended at 17:30 for a change. By the time we got back to the hotel and dropped off laptops, etc. it was already dark but we went anyway. We were seven in total with me being the only non-French speaker. I thought that it would be a very long evening of not understanding anything that was said but in the end it was a pleasant evening and I have added some more French words to my very limited vocabulary. We walked down the main road of Mombasa and ended up at Fort Jesus which was unfortunately closed for a private function but it was nice seeing it at night. From there we wandered down some of the little alleys just looking around. I definitely would not have done this alone and made sure I was close to the group all the time. For the most part we were left alone but there was a bit of begging for money from some adults and yells for sweets from the kids. Most people just looked surprised to see tourists n the street at night and said hello.

This is one of the main roads in Mombasa - a dark photo because it is dark as there are no street lights.


This is outside Fort Jesus.


Some snapshots from the streets in Old Town.

We walked back to the new part of the city and went for dinner at a local restaurant called Mombasa Village. Kenyans call this type of establishment a garden bar because you sit outside under a thatch roof and can have just drinks, just food or both. We of course had both! It was Tuskers all round and then we ordered a whole mish mash of food that was placed in the middle of the table and everyone just helped themselves to what they fancied. The meat order was chicken and goat and I am now a goat meat convert. It is something I have never eaten before because the thought of goat meat just didn't appeal, but I decided to try it and it was really good. So every goat should watch out now!

We returned to the hotel just after ten pm and I went straight to bed so that I would wake up in time for a morning swim. The swim was great and I now have green tinged blond hair from the massive doses of chlorine in the pool. I don't mind though because at least I know the water has been sterilised.

Have a great day everyone. Chat again later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo