So so cold!

This morning my friend Margie commented on yesterday's blog saying "Cold nose or not who cares when your eyes are viewing that kind of beauty" and this morning before going out I completely agreed. Once I was outside in -10 degrees though it was a whole different story!

We put on our warm clothes and trotted down to the railway station. I was frozen before we had gotten half way there! Fortunately we could wait inside for the train and it was marginally warmer there. The train arrived and we travelled for an hour an a half through the countryside along the edge of the fjord to Trondheim.

We arrived in Trondheim at about 10h30 and all seemed good until we left the train station. The cold was despicable! I wrapped my scarf around my face to try and protect my nose but it didn't help much. Before long it felt like my entire face was frozen solid. Our first stop was the Nidaros Cathedral the building standing currently dates back to the middle of the 12th century. It is such an intricate building and the work that must have gone into it must have been incredible. Unfortunately no photos are allowed inside the building so you miss seeing the stained glass windows but here are some of the outside views.





From the cathedral we went to Trondheim Torg, the "biggest shopping mall in Trondheim". It has a whopping 75 shops LOL!!!!! I didn't care for its size much but at least it was warm and we stopped at a cafe to defrost a little. From the shopping mall we walked past the king's Trondheim residence, Stiftsgǻrden. Not as presumptuous as Buckingham Palace. The entrance stairs are being refurbished so we couldn't see them. 

We wandered around the city centre some more and here are some photos.





After 2 hours I had had enough and pulled the plug on the expedition. By then I was so cold and was feeling really miserable. We had one little shopping side trip and then headed to the train station to get the next train back to Levanger. On the way back we went through a small town called Hell and I just loved this sign on the side of a building:

Translated from Norwegian it is where freight is unloaded but I thought it was funny.

It was so good to get home to the warmth but took a good half hour to warm up with the aid of some hot chocolate and a lovely fire in the fireplace. Being a tourist at -10 degrees is not a whole barrel of laughs - well not for me anyway.

Take care everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo