Last Zanzibari day

Today started off excessively hot and got more so as the day progressed. There were huge clouds about and I thought that today would be the day I got wet on the way to work. Fortunately the rain held off though and eventually the clouds evaporated. There was little to do regarding work today, just three fisheries to be reviewed. We had a bit of a late start as the power cut out for a while but as soon as this was sorted out we were up and running. The two groups reviewed a fishery each and then the final one was done all together. We finished in time for an early lunch and for the men to go to Friday prayers.

I went back to my hotel and had a shower. It was so hot that I didn't even contemplate going out for a walk and spent some time catching up on a bit of admin for the trip. I had to return to the institute at 4pm to sort out all the finances with Narriman. On the way back to the hotel I stopped by at Livingstone's Beach Restaurant and decided that I would return in the evening for dinner. The prices for main meals are expensive by Zanzibar standards but on a par with South African restaurants so it was within my budget. Anyway they have cocktails and that really pushed the decision! I went to the hotel and dropped off all the receipts etc. that Narriman gave me, tidied up a bit and then returned to Livingstone's. The restaurant is right on the beach as in the tables are on the sand. It was lovely sitting there and watching the sun go down. There was also some alternate entertainment going on ....

Livingstone's is right next to the beaching spot for the ferry that transports goods and vehicles between the mainland and Zanzibar and, I think, Pemba Island. Now this ferry is nothing like the one I went on in Norway last year! It literally beaches at high tide, then everyone waits for the tide to go out and planks are placed on the beach sand on which vehicles have to move to and from the ferry. Once everything is unloaded and then loaded, they wait for high tide again and manoeuvre the ferry off the beach. Of course it gets interesting, as happened during my cocktail, when a truck doesn't stay on the planks. Some guests at the restaurant got covered in sand as the driver tried to spin his way off the beach. Luckily I was not close to that fun just near enough to watch!

Back to my drink though! I ordered my favourite cocktail - Pina Colada. I love it so much and if it is on offer that is what I will have. Not at Livingstone's ever again. That was a very sorry excuse for a cocktail and I was really sorry that I ordered it. I had to get a Kilimanjaro beer to wash the taste out my mouth - well that is my excuse and I am sticking to it :-). The food on the other hand was outstanding! I had grilled fillet steak, julienne carrots and courgettes and a bed of mash potato served with a mushroom sauce. It was to die for! Well I'm not really sure how good it really was but it was my first good meal in a long time so it might have been mediocre but my taste buds were so strung out that anything resembling my "normal" food was fantastic. What a nice surprise when I got the bill - the cocktail was half price due to happy hour so I felt a bit better about having had it. What a good way to leave a restaurant, having paid less than you expected to pay! Leaves a nice warm fuzzy feeling .... or maybe that was the beer :-)

So here are a few photos from this afternoon and evening:
 The fort and the museum
 Forodhani gardens at the waterfront
Take aim ......
 The ferry on the beach
The view of the ferry from my table
 The beach entrance to Livingstones
 Sunset as seen from my table
 Mmm ..... Kilimanjaro beer
Someone I got kitty cuddles from at dinner

Now my time in Zanzibar is drawing to a close. Tomorrow I fly, via Nairobi, to Mombasa. I am looking forward to next week, I am staying in a hotel I have not stayed in before (always an adventure) and I will get to see a very good friend again. Actually he is responsible for suggesting the new hotel so it had better be good :-). The Kenyan workshop is usually fairly laid back so it should be a relaxing end to the trip.

That's it from me in Zanzibar. To all my South African family and friends, enjoy the long weekend and think of me working on Monday when you are enjoying the public holiday. Take care!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo