Farewell my little fish

The trouble with visiting the countries that I go to is that you constantly have to be on your guard and if you stop for even a small amount of time you will pay. This can be in the form of swallowing a little bit of water and getting sick or, as what happened to me today, you lose something that you cherished.

Today we only worked half-day. It is what the Malagasies wanted. If it was up to me we would work straight from Monday morning and then finish possibly a day early but this is how they do things. So after lunch I returned to my room and did a little more of my other work and then decided to go for a walk. I neglected to take off my silver chain and fish pendant probably for two reasons: firstly I never take it off so the thought doesn't usually occur to me and secondly, I didn't have any other jewellery on me such as my gold watch or ring that I would have thought to take off and would have prompted me to take off the chain too. Anyway out I went with just my camera and my hotel key (because I know Tana has a reputation) and at first I just walked around the neighbourhood where my hotel is situated. Then I decided to go down to the market. As I was waiting to cross a road to get to the market stalls I felt someone reach from behind me around my neck. At first I did not realise what was happening because I just felt fingers press against my skin but then there was the tug and snap as the chain broke. I turned to see the thief run off and then stop about 50m from me to see what I would do. As I started towards him he dashed off and was quickly lost in the crowds.

So that is my sorry tale today. I am sad to lose that chain and the fish. They were both gifts from my parents, the chain a 40th birthday gift. I was stupid not to have taken it off and I have paid for my stupidity.

 Tana
 Le Louvre Hotel where I am staying
The route down to the market

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo