In the middle in Mauritius

Now I am into the middle section of the trip: One down, one in progress and one to go. But I am getting ahead of myself ....

Yesterday was a travel day which basically boils down to a day of hanging about waiting. I got up early and went for my last session in the gym before meeting up online with my cousins in Australia for an Easter chat. Then a quick call home for the same reason before heading down for breakfast. I checked out of the hotel and soon enough was on the way to the airport.

I was there 30 minutes before the check-in for my flight opened so I settled down in the middle of a long row of empty chairs to quietly enjoy some Easter eggs which had been thoughtfully provided by my parents. Within 5 minutes a decidedly smelly guy came and sat on the chair right next to me and said hello. By this time I had had enough of unsolicited conversation from strangers and I asked him what he wanted. He said he wanted to sit. I ignored him and continued to unwrap a small egg and he asked if it was candy, I nodded my head and he said he wanted it. I grabbed my things and went to stand in the pre-check-in area deciding to finish my egg once I was through the security check and immigration and where I would be left in peace.

I was the second person through security and while I was waiting my turn to go through immigration I heard the immigration officer ask the guy in front of me firstly for a chocolate Easter egg (he didn't have any) and then for money! The guy gave him the few Ariary he had in his pocket. I was beginning to wonder if this would be the first time I would be asked for money at an immigration check point. It didn't happen and I was stamped out of Madagascar without any demands.

The wait for boarding was long and made even longer when a group of about 20 Chinese people were made to identify their suitcases and open them in the boarding area so that Customs could see what organic matter they were taking out of the country. I was so glad at this point that I did not agree to carry home fish samples for work!

After what seemed like an eternity we were finally allowed onto the plane - a great big Airbus 340-300. This was my first time in an Airbus of this size - I am more used to the little pocket rockets. The big plane lumbered down the runway and we had a smooth takeoff despite all the thunder clouds building quickly around us. In all the flight was really nice. The Air Mauritius service was outstanding with incredibly friendly crew and a really tasty (for a change) dinner.
 Rice paddies with Tana in the background
 The sprawling city of Antananarivo
 The rugged interior of Madagascar
More rugged Madagascar

When we descended to Mauritius there were rain clouds around so we flew down below them and it seemed like, for a long time, we were just skimming over the ocean surface. Our route also took us along the beach for a section before we banked inland to approach the runway from the land side. We did do a kangaroo hop on the runway but overall it wasn't bad.
 Rain clouds all around as we come in to land in Mauritius
The runway in Mauritius

I managed to get through immigration and health clearance first but had a long wait for my suitcase - that is the disadvantage of checking in early. Once I had my bag, I walked through the passage of foreign exchange dealers all trying to convince me to change my money and out to find my arranged driver to go to the guest house.

The drive to the guest house took just over an hour as Albion (where I am staying) is on the opposite side of the island to the airport. The sun had already set so there wasn't much to see along the way. I was surprised to see the streets of Rosehill town decorated with lights for Easter. I found it surprising since Mauritius is not dominated by Christians and Easter is not an official holiday. I did enjoy it after having seen little evidence of the festivities in Madagascar.

I really liked my check-in at La Tonnelle Guest House which consisted of me being taken straight to my room - no stopping at a reception desk! I hung my work clothes in the cupboard and got into my swimming costume as quickly as possible. The pool was wonderful! The water, according to the thermometer floating in the pool, was a lovely 30°C.

This morning I woke up and had a delicious breakfast of muesli, yoghurt and tea beside the pool. This guest house meets all my required criteria with a few extras too. It is safe, clean, has hot water and free wireless Internet! The added bonuses are the swimming pool and the five pets living here - two dogs and three cats. I am loving the furry attention!
The pool and restaurant area at the back
 One of the mutts
Two of the moggies

The only downside for me is that I have to sleep in a single bed. I am too used to being able to sleep in any direction on a bed so having to sleep in one straight stripe last night was not good. I'm sure I will get used to it though and tonight will be fine.
 My room
The view from my window

The walk to work this morning was fantastic. It is about one and a half kilometres through an affluent residential area and was a relaxing way to start the day. I work with a great group of people here in Mauritius and after some brief chatting we got on with the work. Unlike the other countries I have been in, I do not feel stressed at all after the first day. We managed to get through three and a half fisheries - a record I think. The nice thing about coming here is that they are very well prepared for the workshop and there is not much need for me to remind them of how the database works.

We went for lunch at a local restaurant behind the research centre and I had fried noodles with chicken. It is one of my favourite dishes. We always have lunch at this restaurant because the food is good and they are very reasonably priced. The entire meal for five of us with juice and water came to 555 rupees (R150 or $19).

We ended the work day at 4pm and I walked back to the guest house looking at the birds along the way. As soon as I got home, I changed and went for a long swim in the pool. So even though I had to work on a public holiday, it was a good day!

Take care everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo