Tsunami warning and other stories

The day started off well with a nice walk to work. I was picked up by some of my colleagues almost at the research centre's gate - they really think I am strange wanting to walk to work and home everyday! They asked what I did after work yesterday so I told them I walked to the lighthouse which was met with gasps and "No you didn't!" So I said "Yes I did" and asked what was wrong with that. "No, no you must not go there alone!!!!" We arrived at the office so I didn't get a chance to pursue the subject any further until lunch time.

At lunch I was informed that the area around the lighthouse is really very unsafe because it is so secluded. It has been the scene of a few robberies, assaults and even rapes! Oh well I survived my visit unscathed thankfully but I will think twice about going there again. We also discussed why the houses in Albion have so much security and I was told it was because most of the houses are actually holiday homes so they stand empty most of the year. They become the targets of vandals so the owners have had to resort to employing security companies to take care of the properties while the owners are away.

When we returned to the office we were informed of the tsunami warning that had been issued for all the coastal areas of the Indian Ocean. We were also told that if a tsunami did occur, the first signs would be seen at 5pm. I have to admit that my first thoughts were about where a good vantage point would be to watch it happen - maybe the lighthouse J! It wasn't long before the information filtered through that no tsunami would be coming our way and I was reminded that even if there had been one we would not have seen it since we are on the western side of the island and the tsunami would strike on the eastern side. Of course all of this didn't stop anyone from joking around and telling each other to keep the windows and doors closed to keep the water out.
Just a little perspective on where I am

We finished work today at 3pm because some of the participants had to be elsewhere. One in particular had to go and play a soccer match - it reminds me of my air force days and sports parade on a Wednesday afternoon which of course it is. Although the work was finished I didn't leave until 4 pm as I took the opportunity to catch up with one of my friends with whom I have worked on another project. It is always good to compare notes on how things operate.

I think tomorrow will be our last full day of work. We have managed to get a lot done and if we do have to work on Friday it will definitely not be for the whole day. I am looking forward to a little bit of time off to be able to at least enjoy Mauritius a bit.

Take care everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo