Gone fishing

The day started at around 7am waiting for the first trawl to be hauled in. This came up at breakfast time so we quickly sorted the catch into species and then left everything to go and have breakfast. Food is very important on this ship. So after munchies it was all hands on deck again and the fish were measured, sexed and genetic samples were taken. While we were doing that the next trawl was deployed (or in fishing terms shot) and before long the next lot of fish were on the deck and the process of sorting and measuring started all over. Between the second and third trawls we got a half hour break and then the third trawl came up at lunch time. It was processed first and then everyone got to have some lunch before getting back on deck for trawl four. Anyway there is now an hour and a half break before the next trawl is shot so everyone can chill out a bit. We are supposed to only be doing five trawls today but there is some doubt from those who have been on the ship for a month already, they are saying we will most likely do more. We will have to see what happens.

Kerry, my cabin mate, is woman down with sea-sickness so she has mostly been napping. Hopefully she will feel better soon. On my part I am ok. Sitting typing on my computer makes me feel a little queezy but at other times I am fine thankfully. It is quite an adjustment to compensate all the time for the ship's motion and sometimes she does roll rather radically - makes measuring fish tricky.

I have not taken any photos of the trawls but will get round to that in the next day or so. Today was all about seeing how things worked and learning how everything works on the deck and, let's not forget, learning all the cold water species. So the photos I am sharing today are of my bed and of the lounge area of the cabin where I sit and blog. The blue door on the right of the photo of my bed is the door to the en suite bathroom - no communal bathroom for us. The cabin is very spacious but I think that is because there are only 2 of us in it and it does take 4 people. Four would definitely feel squished!




Before I forget again, there is a website where you can see the ship's position. There is a 3 hour time delay but will give the general idea of where we are at. The website is: http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=LGWS

Until tomorrow, take care!

Comments

  1. Hello, glad to hear that you are not too seasick to blog. You must be longing for bed after today - busy, busy, busy. Your sleeping area and lounge look so cool - en suite no less - and I was glad to hear that you have a nice thick duvet! Also glad to hear that the green is still a possibility:)Arrrr... Lots and lots of love my friend. Sleep tight and don't let the bed-fish bite. Lots of love, Jo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo