Stuck in port

So for those who don't know, I have swapped my terrestrial life for a life at sea for a month. Well that was the plan anyway. I am on the research vessel Dr Fridtjof Nansen which is a Norwegian-owned vessel that operates mostly off the African continent investigating fish stocks. The vessel is 56.8m long and 12.5m wide and is actually really nice. My cabin compares rather favourably to that of the Melody (except that this time my cabin is above the water line) and there is an entertainment room, a gym and round the clock food to eat. So far the crew have been really friendly and have made me and my cabin mate feel completely at home.



My cabin mate is quite nice and we have spent most of the day together. My introduction to her was rather good - she asked the Chief Steward if after vomiting up her breakfast due to seasickness could she go back for more food! I stuck it a bit lucky this afternoon because Kerry had to go to Two Oceans Aquarium so I tagged along and got to spend a couple of hours there and met up with all the ex-uShaka people: David, Mike and Hayley. In fact I discovered Hayley hard at work with some penguins.


So onto the actual sailing, we are stuck in the harbour and are going to be spending another whole day here. Apparently we are waiting for some important spare parts to arrive and quite frankly, I'm happy to wait! After having just read about the real Fridtjof Nansen eating his shoes and dogs to survive, I think I want to stick it out in Cape Town - my shoes are not made of leather so they would not get me very far and my dogs, thank goodness, are at home. So the plan at this stage is that the ship will sail at 8pm tomorrow night. The plus side is that we are berthed right at the Waterfront so the vague plan for tomorrow is to go to movies!

Anyway until tomorrow night when we will hopefully be sailing out to sea, take care.

PS: Jo - no green flash, maybe on the next leg!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo