Seven is heaven ... NOT!

Yesterday we worked like Trojans to get through all seven trawls. Normally six is the maximum in a day but because of the way the transects are laid out we had to complete one whole transect so that the ship could sail the 40nm to the next line during the night instead of wasting daylight hours. Fortunately just over half of the catches were easy to process but it was still a very long day.

All the hard work did result in a reprieve from my insomnia though although that nearly got me into trouble. I have been using my cellphone as my alarm clock and during the night the battery went flat so I overslept! I woke up thinking that the cabin was really bright and looked at my watch to discover that it was twenty to seven and the trawl was already on the way up! You would think that my cabin mate would have woken up too but she is really good at sleeping so maybe I should not be surprised. Anyway I did make it on deck just in time but it was not a good start to the day.

Today we did the normal six trawls and we had some breaks in between since the trawl stations were in shallow water and spaced further apart than the deep water stations. It was great to be able to sit out in the sunshine and read for a bit. The catches were also fairly easy to process so it was a good day all round. No photos today as my cabin mate is asleep and I am using one of the ship's computers to write this and cannot download my photos at the moment. I'm sure that you can sense my frustration!

I'm going to end on a positive note though, tonight's sunset was absolutely gorgeous!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo