Hot, hot hot!

Yesterday afternoon/early evening, I spent a very pleasant time at the Africa House watching the sun slip slowly down to the horizon. Well that was until I got annoyed with a group of Italian tourists who did not know when enough was enough when taking photos of themselves against the backdrop of a very unsightly lamp post and some fishing vessels. I could have understood if they had been including the sunset in their photos but this was not even considered - it takes all types of people to make up the world :-) I did stay long enough though to see the glorious sunset. So last month I gave you sunsets from the West Coast and this month it will be sunsets from the East Coast.



I've decided that switching the hotel generator off from midnight to 5 am is definitely not sensible at all! I went to sleep feeling pleasantly cool and woke up at about 1 am thinking that I was sleeping in a furness and bathed in sweat because the air con was off - not great. So then the dilemma was: do I open the windows and let all the mosquitoes in or do I just cook myself. In the end the fear of malaria made me leave the windows closed and I spent an uncomfortable few hours waiting for the generator to come back on. While I'm on the subject of the hotel, I really love the place I'm staying at. It is not a luxury hotel by any means but does provide all the basics very acceptably and at a cost that is very beneficial to my project's budget. It is owned by a Zanzibari who has built it up over the years into a very nice place. By the way, the view from my window has not been great ...

... but I am apparently I'm being moved to a sea-facing room today so that may be better - will keep you posted. The breakfasts are the typical stuff here, toast and fruit - yes Mother that means I am eating paw paw again :-) The only time I eat paw paw is when I am away from home something my mother fails to understand and I don't blame her because it makes no sense but that is just the way it is, I don't like it at home but it is edible when I am away.

The workshop got off to a VERY slow start. The venue had not been setup when I got here this morning and then everyone's laptops still needed to be configured for the wireless Internet connection, etc, etc, etc. Then the necessary reports on the fisheries had to be found and printed. It just carried on and on and on. But I do know that this is how things are here so I am prepared for it. An added frustration though was the electricity or lack there of. After an hour the main generator over-heated so we lost time while a secondary smaller one was setup but even this little one kept on tripping out so we have been working in starts and stops. The little generator also does not run the air conditioning so we are in a sauna. The first day here is always tough but they do eventually get their act together because there is an interest in the project and an understanding of its benefits so I know that tomorrow will be better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo