Peacocks!

It was a good start today and some very hard work was put in. At 3 pm we decided to call it quits and I quickly got into shorts, a T-shirt and some walking shoes and headed out to see a bit more of Maputo. This time I headed in the opposite direction to Sunday with the intention of going down to the waterfront.

First up though, another  beautiful building. This is the Natural History Museum:

I have never actually been inside this museum as every time I find myself outside its doors, it is closed and today was no different. Anyway I think the outside of it is pretty impressive so I am never disappointed about not getting inside. From there I walked along a beautiful tree-lined road until I came to the boom gates that block the roads around what I think is the president's residence. I had forgotten about this obstacle but did find a way around and in the process came across an open park with three peacocks wandering around as if they owned the place.

I left the peacocks to get on with their business and went down the hill to the waterfront. This is a hard edge that provides a really nice walk along the edge of Maputo Bay. It is lined the whole way with beautiful huge palm trees and is definitely one of my favourite areas.


The sun and clouds put on a lovely display showing the silver lining that every cloud has.


It was so good to be out and walking as it feels like these past few weeks I have turned into a sloth doing absolutely no exercise. It is great to walk here because although there are a few hawkers trying to sell pirate copies of anything and everything, they are not very persistent and one firm no is usually enough to dissuade them from persisting with their sales pitch. Finally I headed up Vladimir Lenine Road and back to my hotel feeling so much better for getting my blood flowing in my veins again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo