Karibu Zanzibar!

I am once again away from home but this time on a legitimate work trip. The week leading up to this trip was hectic with trying to organise myself and get back into work mode after my month off on the Dr Fridtjof Nansen. Fortunately the preparations went well and I was able to leave for Nairobi on Saturday with everything pretty much sorted. For once I had no flight troubles and in fact both the Durban to Jo'burg and Jo'burg to Nairobi flights got in early. It was really great to catch up with Joanne and Dieter in Jo'burg and seeing them makes this stop so worthwhile. I also enjoyed staying the night in Nairobi last night and not having to run across to the domestic terminal to get another flight onwards - certainly makes a change from last year's trips. My taxi driver, however, was having an identity crisis and seemed to think he was Michael Schumaker - not great on Nairobi's roads.

The flight to Zanzibar was at 08:20 this morning but I went to the airport an hour early for a brief catch up session with my boss since he was there on his way back to South Africa and we had not seen each other since the end of January and will not see one another until the end of March. My flight was on a cute little turbo prop plane. I really love these aircraft. I know that the journey takes longer and I have to put earplugs in so that I can hear myself think, but they are magic. The cruising altitude is only 21000 feet so when we passed by Kilimanjaro it felt like I could reach out and touch the summit. And beautiful the mountain was as always. At first she was a little coy, hiding behind some clouds but then we got to see her with Mt Meru peering on from behind.


The descent to Zanzibar took us past Stonetown for a change so that was a good sight too. It looks so small from the air but feels like an enormous rabbit warren when you are in it.

The air conditioning in the plane was set on Antarctic so stepping out of the plane into the Zanzibari heat was like stepping into a furness. It is good to be back in the heat and humidity!

Zanzibar has no electricity supply at the moment and has been without for three months now. Apparently it is to do with the undersea cable from the Tanzania mainland being damaged/perished. So everyone has generators going - it is really noisy! The hotel I am at only runs their generator from 6pm to midnight and then from 5am to 10am which makes sense.

After I'd unpacked my suitcase, I went for a walk to see the Waterfront that took forever to develop. It is really lovely and I am looking forward to returning to it later this evening to visit the night market. On the way there I got caught in one of the torrential downpours that is so characteristic of Zanzibar. Eventually I took shelter in the Archipelago Cafe and had lunch while I was waiting for the storm to pass. Actually any excuse to eat chicken pilau would have done. There are some things that I really love about Zanzibar and chicken pilau is definitely one of them along with spice tea.

Anyway it is time to make my way over to Africa House for a ice cold drink.

Comments

  1. Hi Bernadine,thanks for sharing.I know it is work, but it's always amazing to go travel (especially in such exotic locations)and this blog of yours makes it a little excursion for everyone who reads it.Well executed too!x,Weyers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little fun in Mombasa

Roasting in Comoros

Maputo